/etc in CVS (was: Another tool for updating /etc)

Jeremie Le Hen jeremie at le-hen.org
Mon Apr 19 22:31:21 UTC 2010

Hi Bakul,

Sorry for the late reply, I'm lagging behind in my FreeBSD mailbox :).

On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 09:57:48AM -0700, Bakul Shah wrote:

> But I wonder... why not build something like this around cvs?
> Basically a three way merge is exactly what we want for /etc,
> right?  cvs because it is in the base system.  I used to
> maintain /etc changes in cvs and that was useful in keeping
> track of configuration changes on shared machines.

By the way, I've been storing my configuration in CVS for a long time
and I have created a full-fledged tool to help this.  Given you're using
cvs(1) to store your changes in /etc, you may find it useful.  The main
purpose of the script if to verify that everything is checked in and you
didn't overlook to commit a change.  This can very easily be run from
a crontab(5).

The name of this tool is very lame, I didn't find a better one for now.
If you have a proposition, I'm all opened to it!

You will find a link to download the tool and the whole manpage at the
following URL.  An example session at the end of the manpage that show
you how to use the tool interactively:

	http://jlh.chchile.org/cvsconfchk/

If you give it a try, do not refrain from giving me some feedback!
Regards,
--
Jeremie Le Hen

Humans are born free and equal.  But some are more equal than others.
					    Coluche