Patrick Mahan mahan at mahan.org
Sun Apr 18 01:36:26 UTC 2010

I am looking for some guidance and perhaps a method to debug an issue
I am having with a KLM.

For various reasons, I have to make use of random.ko instead of having
it built as part of the kernel.  As a result, I am adding the following
line to /boot/loader.conf -

random_load=yes   # I have also tried random_load="YES"

On some platforms (Intel Xeon L5518 running FBSD 8.0-release-p2) this
works as expected and a kldstat shows random.ko as loaded.

However, on other platforms (Intel Xeon E5440 running FBSD 8.0-release-p2)
this is not working.  random.ko does not get loaded and as a result
SSHD will not start which causes havoc with QA/Release engineering.

I cannot figure this one out.  I don't see any messages on the console
indicating that it has failed to load.  But sshd complains about not
finding the /dev/random and logging in and doing a kldstat shows that
random.ko is not there.  However, it is there because I can do
a 'kldload random; /etc/rc.d/sshd start' and I get SSHD up and
running.

Nothing popped up when I tried "debugging loader.conf" in Google.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Patrick