there is a way to avoid strict libraries linking?

Freddie Cash fjwcash at gmail.com
Wed Apr 14 18:50:36 UTC 2010

On Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 11:18 AM, Leinier Cruz Salfran <
salfrancl.listas at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 1:48 PM, Dan Nelson <dnelson at allantgroup.com>
> wrote:> Just because you
> > Anyway, the FreeBSD port maintainers usually bump the
> > revision of dependant ports when a major library like libpng gets
> upgraded,
> > to force everyone to upgrade anything that depends on it.
> >

> mmm .. I think it's not true because I maintain a port and i'm VERY
> VERY restricted to update the port because I depends on a mentor that
> will ONLY update the port in fbsd svn tree if I sent to him the
> tinderbox log of the sucessfully build of the port .. so I have not
> much patience to do all this things so I update the port and do ALL
> task including constructing the package into tinderbox ONLY when a new
> version of the program is available .. and I think that exists a lot
> of ports maintainers that are in same situation
>
> do you agree with me that it's difficult to a port maintainer to
> update his/her port because of this restriction????

The port maintainer doesn't *have to* update anything.  When library ports
go through a library bump like this, all the ports that depend on it get an
automatic PORTREVISION bump.

All the port maintainer has to do is double-check that the port compiles
with the new version of the lib.  Only if there are issues with that (which
usually get picked up by the -exp runs on the ports cluster), then the port
maintainer has to step in and fix things.

9 times out of 10, a port maintainer doesn't have to do anything with a port
until a new version of the app is released.

> could be a good idea to plan and implement a system to allow fbsd
> ports maintainers to maintain easyly the own ports via web or mail
> ONCE a fbsd mentor have uploaded his/her port to fbsd svn
> tree????????????

In several years of port maintainership, I've never had a need for anything
like this.  A new version of an app I maintain is released, I update the
port locally, test it, submit a PR with the update, someone looks at it and
sends back suggestions/issues, the port is fixed locally and patches
re-submitted to the PR, and then the port is committed to the tree.
 Overall, not a long process.

If you maintain enough ports for enough time, and generate enough committed
PRs to annoy people enough, you get rewarded with a commit bit.  :)

--
Freddie Cash
fjwcash at gmail.com