Fwd: mkuzip and/or geom_uzip changes?

John Baldwin jhb at freebsd.org
Thu Apr 1 17:06:03 UTC 2010

On Thursday 01 April 2010 10:48:07 am Tim Judd wrote:
> On 4/1/10, John Baldwin <jhb at freebsd.org> wrote:
> > On Wednesday 31 March 2010 6:32:09 pm Tim Judd wrote:
> >> Hi All,
> >>
> >> Just starting to see if I can find other reports.  You all probably
> >> have had the "more than one pair of eyes looking at a thing is better
> >> than my eyes alone."  This is why I'm writing now, as I'm starting the
> >> discovery.
> >>
> >> Let me background this a little bit.  I only started looking into this
> >> because mkuzip and it's counterpart, geom_uzip are throwing errors on
> >> FreeBSD8 i386
> >>

> >> scenario (/etc/src.conf in effect, removing *LOTS* of stuff with knobs):
> >>   make DESTDIR=/home/small8 installworld installkernel distribution
> >>   mv /home/small8/boot /home/small8-boot/
> >>   makefs -t ffs /home/small8/usr.img /home/small8/usr/
> >>   mkuzip -o /home/small8/usr.uzip /home/small8/usr.img
> >> [*]
> >>   chflags -R noschg /home/small8/usr/*
> >>   rm -rf /home/small8/usr/* /home/small8/usr.img
> >>   ee /home/small8/etc/rc.d/mountcritlocal
> >>           [**]
> >>   makefs -t ffs /home/small8-boot/mfsroot /home/small8/
> >>   gzip --best /home/small8-boot/mfsroot
> >>   ee /home/small8-boot/boot/loader.conf
> >>           [***]
> >>   rm /home/small8-boot/boot/kernel/*.symbols
> >>   gzip --best /home/small8-boot/boot/kernel/kernel
> >>   mkisofs -U -J -r -V "FreeBSD8" -b boot/cdboot -no-emul-boot
> >> -iso-level 4 -o /home/small8.iso /home/small8-boot/
> >>

> >> [*]: mkuzip inserts a script header that is broken.  module name it's
> >> searching for may have been renamed?
> >> [**]: Edited mountcritlocal to mount the usr.uzip file as by using the
> >> above script header, throws errors
> >> [***]: added zlib and geom_uzip modules to load to the boot image, to
> >> satisfy the script header's requirements.
> >>
> >> OK, the above scenario creates about a 33MB usr.uzip, and a 68MB iso.
> >> Small enough to apparently fit into the undocumented 50 or 100MB size
> >> limit of mfs_root module
> >
> > BTW, you can raise this limit by changing NKPT.
>

> I'm sorry, I'm not sure what you're referring to when you are telling me this.

If you increase NKPT (look in /sys/i386/conf/NOTES on a recent stable) you
can use a larger mfs root.

> >> 2) even with geom_uzip module and it's dependency zlib loaded, i don't
> >> get a mdconfig node '/dev/md?.uzip' to appear.
> >>
> >> It's been forever since I touched uzip, so I have to ask.
> >
> > Do you have a md0 device at all?  I think you want to hack the script to do
> > something like this:
>
> I double check at home tonight, but I don't remember any additional md
> devices, since I'm running from an MFS_ROOT, i get md0, but that's
> all.
>
> I definately do not get any /dev/md?.uzip files.  No .uzips show up.

You will not get the uzip device until you create the md device via
mdconfig -af.

> > 	disk=`mdconfig -af /path/to/usr.img`
> > 	mount -r /dev/$disk.uzip /usr

That's why I think you need to add this to a script in /etc.  You could
perhaps put the mount line in /etc/fstab, but you need to invoke mdconfig
to create md1.  At that point you should get the md1.uzip device
automatically.

--
John Baldwin