SOLUTION MBR hack for serial console

remodeler remodeler at alentogroup.org
Fri Sep 18 23:49:04 UTC 2009

> I found your Email most helpful thank you. if I may ask, how do you
> get vim to display the correct rows and columns?
> I am using a xterm on a 1440x900 monitor and ssh to another FreeBSD
> machine that has my serial cable to my server.
> vim appears a very small, do you know how to change this?
>
> Sam Fourman Jr.

I left out the change to /etc/ttys in my original solution e-mail; something
like the following to set a line type for the tty:

ttyu0   "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"   vt100   on  insecure

vt100 is a 80 column x 24 line terminal. I think using vt100-w instead would
give you a 132 column line (described in termcap(5)).

                                  __     __

The information contained in this message is confidential and is intended
for the addressee only. Any unauthorized use, dissemination of the
information, or copying of this message is prohibited.