FreeBSD DAQ Card Facility [DCF]

Dag-Erling Smørgrav des at des.no
Tue Oct 20 13:24:57 UTC 2009

"Manuel Gebele" <forensixs at gmx.de> writes:
> The acronym stands for DAQ (Data AcQuisition) Card Facility [...]  If
> you take a look at my site on sourceforge you should know why that
> acronym. But I'm flexible, so maybe there is a better name for that.

First, when you answer a question on a mailing list, it is customary to
use your MUA's "reply" function and to quote the question.  Otherwise,
there is nothing to tie the answer to the question, and nobody will
understand anything, except possibly the person who asked the question
in the first place.  It is also customary to answer once, not twice.

That being taken care of - the reason I asked is that to me (and to many
other time boffins and NTP fundamentalists), DCF is a longwave radio
station in Frankfurt which is commonly used as an external reference for
NTP servers.

I would have just called it DAQ, which as you know is an established
abbreviation for "Data Acquisition".  The "card" part is meaningless;
FreeBSD runs on plenty of hardware with integrated DAQ facilities, such
as the Soekris, or pretty much anything built around a MIPS or ARM or
(soon) AVR32 microcontroller.

DES
Dag-Erling Smørgrav - des at des.no