Make process title - % complete

Ivan Voras ivoras at freebsd.org
Mon Oct 19 14:35:30 UTC 2009

2009/10/19 Rink Springer <rink at freebsd.org>:
> Hi Ivan,
>
> On Mon, Oct 19, 2009 at 03:52:30PM +0200, Ivan Voras wrote:
>> if nobody objects, I'll commit it :)
>
> I seem to recall that setproctitle() is quite expensive to call; perhaps
> it would make sense offer a flag to prevent make(1) from calling it? [1]
>
> Anyway, the feature looks nice! I'd like to have it...
>
> [1] I'm unsure how expensive it is compared to fork(1)-ing etc; I'd
>    expect it's negligable but who knows...

The loop it's called in is not processed bazillion times per second
(though it *is* called surprisingly often; small, fast jobs can result
in somewhere in the order of magnitude of 100 iterations per second on
a fast CPU). As you said - I expect it's negligable compared to fork()
and the work jobs themselves do.