Wine on amd64 in 32 bit jail

xorquewasp at googlemail.com xorquewasp at googlemail.com
Thu Nov 19 07:38:22 UTC 2009

On 2009-11-18 23:19:14, Julian Elischer wrote:

> Wine is an exceptional bit of software, in many ways.
> One way it is exceptional is that it uses the system in a number of
> ways that nothing else does. For example it sets various special
> segment register settings and defines several different
> segments on the LDT.  This is something that is different to some
> extent between i386 and amd64 and it is possible that
> the code for 386 LDT syscalls under amd64 may not work correctly.
> nothing else would test this.

I agree and would also have likely not even tried if it wasn't for
reading on FreeBSD's own wiki (amonst other places) that it should
actually work fine. I've tried various versions and always get the
same result:

  http://wiki.freebsd.org/Wine

  "FreeBSD currently lacks support for 32bit ports on a 64bit system.
   However, with a little bit of effort you can build and use the 32 bit
   wine executable on an amd64 system (Diablo 2 works just fine)."

His instructions show an essentially identical setup to mine (apart
from the fact that he's running a chroot and I'm running a jail).

Even any ideas on how to debug this would help.

xw