Wine on amd64 in 32 bit jail

xorquewasp at googlemail.com xorquewasp at googlemail.com
Thu Nov 19 06:57:46 UTC 2009

Hello.

I've done a lot of reading on this problem and don't understand why what I have
doesn't work.

  http://wiki.freebsd.org/Wine

I have an entirely 32 bit jail, created by cross-compiling the world with
TARGET=i386 and creating a jail from DESTDIR.

The jail appears to be fully functional - all programs appear to work and
the compiler produces i386 binaries.

'uname' has been configured to identify itself as 'i386', so even compiling
programs from source works (autoconf correctly recognises the jail system
as i386, etc).

However, installing the wine port and attempting to do anything with it
results in:

  $ wine hello.exe
  Bus error: 10 (core dumped)

The program will immediately crash in all cases.

  $ winecfg
  Bus error: 10 (core dumped)

According to every bit of documentation I can find online, this should
work fine. Any idea what's gone wrong here?

xw