Dell M600 Blade: 6.4 works, 7.x and 8.x fail to boot

Peter Beckman beckman at angryox.com
Sun Nov 15 03:18:06 UTC 2009

On Sat, 14 Nov 2009, Thierry Herbelot wrote:

> Le Saturday 14 November 2009, Peter Beckman a écrit :
> [SNIP]

>>> aha !
>>>
>>> anyway, even with a CDROM, you can boot *verbose* and note where the boot
>>> stops (even if there won't be a serial console, write down the blocking
>>> device probe)
>>
>>   Can you shoot me a link to the docs on how to do this?  I haven't been
>>   able to find out how.
>
> speaking from memory : just before the kernel starts, you should have the
> *loader* menu (with the ASCII graphics depicting beastie), where you can
> choose between boot options, and option 5 is boot verbose (like 4 is boot
> single)

  Not sure I have any more.  Since I'm not in front of the console, and
  since the iDRAC only allows a "video" capture of the console, I made a
  video.

  http://drop.io/rk0eoap

  The Verbose option was selected, but it hung at the same place it did.  I
  was using the 8.0-RC3 bootonly iso.

  It hung just after isab0, isa0 and atrtc0 loaded.  The last line:

     atrtc0: registered as a time-of-day clock (resolution 1000000us)

  The machine is just fine, I installed NetBSD 5.0.1 on it, and I have
  FreeBSD 7.0-RELEASE running on another blade adjacent to it.