Dell M600 Blade: 6.4 works, 7.x and 8.x fail to boot

Thierry Herbelot thierry.herbelot at free.fr
Sat Nov 14 11:45:38 UTC 2009

Le Friday 13 November 2009, Peter Beckman a écrit :
> I've been scratching my head all day on an issue that's been frustrating.
>
> I've got two FreeBSD 6.2 instances installed on two M600 blades, and am
> moving to a new datacenter with M600 blades and trying to install FreeBSD
> 7.2 or 8.  But as others on this list and elsewhere have mentioned,
> seemingly without resolution, is that it doesn't work.
>

> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-hackers/2009-July/029147.html
> http://forums.freebsd.org/showthread.php?t=486
>
> I was able to install 6.4 on it today, but I'm still at a loss as to why
> 7.x and even 8.x will not.  Did the architecture change in such a way that
> it could no longer support M600 blades?  Did someone leave something out of
> the standard ISO kernel?  Am I not doing it right?
>
> Happy to pass along my dmesg.boot;

Hello,

from the two URLs you provide, it seems that i386 is working (for all FreeBSD
versions) and only amd64 is failing : can you confirm this ?

then, one of the first steps would be a the dmesg of both a succeeding and a
failing kernels (verbose !)

	TfH

PS : is there any more recent version of the Dell BIOS ?