C99: Suggestions for style(9)

Stanislav Sedov stas at FreeBSD.org
Sun May 17 16:04:28 UTC 2009

On Sun, 17 May 2009 14:36:03 +0200
Christoph Mallon <christoph.mallon at gmx.de> mentioned:

> > Aliasing behavior is stritcly described in
> > ISO C99 standard, so there's a good point to enforcing strict-aliasing clear
> > code in our kernel.
> If you like this addition because of this reason, I have to disappoint
> you: This addition has absolutly *nothing* to do with strict-aliasing.

I didn't meant I like this change only from aliasing point of view: certianly,
the code readability argument is very important. But this change also
works towards the strict aliasing problem solving too: there's just
a less chance someone will reuse a variable, address of which was
previously taken.

--
Stanislav Sedov
ST4096-RIPE