FreeBSD jobs

Julian Stacey jhs at berklix.org
Fri May 15 14:42:58 UTC 2009

Hi Matt,
> > Several suckers have already enquired to that firm. =A0Hope we might get
> > some Free labour to donate time to Freebsd, Not Stock holders !
>
> Hi Julian,
> Internships are an accepted way for a high school or university

In America. America imported unpaid apprenticeships & indentured
servitude (time limited slavery) from Europe/Britain centuries ago.
Britain dumped both Long since.  (Germany still has some interns
eg in theatre, last described as a rip off).  Condolences that the
"Land of the free" retains medieval European intern practice.

> it is clearly stated that it is a non-paid internship in the post.

Not clear at start.  The word "intern" may be clear warning of No
Money in American dialect, but to British eyes, it was a strange
word out of context & ignored.
	( Monika Lewinsky news first brought the quaint old fashioned
	  American word & concept of Intern back across the Atlantic,
	  but in English, Intern just means certain some workers ).

Posting near end had:			"San Francisco"
Posting in final line had:		"This is an unpaid position!"
Posting should have started
		"USA/ San Francisco - Unpaid job"
	to efficiently enable global readership of jobs@ to delete unread,
	but American-centric censors of global jobs@ messed up as often,

> I imagine that there would be some interested students or unemployed
> people that would love to work with Alfred on a project at Juniper a
> few hours a week in their spare time, for free.

	http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-jobs/2009-May/000652.html
	"more than 2 hours/day"
That's 1/4 or more of a full time job - _Unpaid_ !
	No offer of money, food, transport, training courses, books,
	hardware to keep.  It undermines labour rates for all BSD
	workers.  The jobs at freebsd.org censors blocked my polite
	post people instead work free for freebsd.org

> It will look great on
> a resume, they will probably learn some valuable skills, and perhaps
> parlay it into a full-time, paid position.

Managers will read:
	"This keen sucker can be kept at Low rates for a Long time".

Better that FreeBSD people work free Not for scrounging commercial
firms & share holder profit, but for charity eg:
	FreeBSD development projects & systems admin (eg send-pr
	base, (parlay into a job requiring corporate support/ trouble
	ticket experience ), FSF, Xorg, Greenpeace, computer
	automating a local library, FreeBSD training lectures to
	schools, fixing BSD install etc for blind / half blind etc.

Cheers,
Julian
--
Julian Stacey: BSDUnixLinux C Prog Admin SysEng Consult Munich www.berklix.com