In search of a video card

Adrian Chadd adrian at freebsd.org
Thu May 14 06:10:37 UTC 2009

2009/5/14 Josef Grosch <jgrosch at mooseriver.com>:

> I don't need 2d & 3d acceleration. I just need a card that will handle
> WindowMaker on a 24 inch Dell monitor at 1920x1200 and as long as the flesh
> tones on my JPGs don't suck I'm happy.
>
> Thanks for the advice. I guess I'm going to make a trip to Fry's Friday.

I've experienced no-acceleration radeon driver "desktop" under Ubuntu
and FreeBSD; let me please point out how sluggish and horribly slow it
is.

I gave up trying to get accelerated 3d + dualhead support on the
card(s) I was using - apparently the hardware just didn't do a single
viewport span across 2 1280x1024 screens :(
(The max viewport width was 2048 pixels..)

2d acceleration may be a must for that kind of resolution..

YMMV (and obviously, please report back your findings!)

adrian