POSIXfy readlink() call

Ruslan Ermilov ru at freebsd.org
Tue May 12 21:04:11 UTC 2009

On Mon, May 11, 2009 at 04:23:52PM -0400, John Baldwin wrote:
> On Monday 11 May 2009 2:58:14 pm Kostik Belousov wrote:
> > >
> > > Yes, I had this stuck in the back of my head from when it first appeared.

> size_t

> requires
> > > longer

> > > Ugh, is this only in HEAD?  If so, I will back it out for 8.0.  If this
> made
> > > it into a release then this is a far bigger mess.  Oh, good, this is only
> in
> > > 8.  I will fix this ASAP.  I can just add the new syscall I guess.
> >
> > You need to symver the syscalls. It requires some ugly games with our
> > syscall stubs, because gnu ld only honor .symver in the same object where
> > the symbol is defined. I did prototyped this some time ago, by including
> > a file with appropriate .symver from all stubs.
>
> So, after thinking about this out loud some more, it seems the ABI breakage
> would only be for 64-bit platforms that passed a -ve value as the buffer
> size.  However, doing so would already either panic due to triggering an
> assertion, or result in otherwise undefined behavior and that making the new
> parameter unsigned actually results in the same undefined behavior in the
> non-panic case.

For the record.  I also suggest (re-)reading a thread

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-current/2008-February/thread.html#83314

that resulted from the original commit where I try to make it clear that a
scary ABI breakage Konstantin mentions is pure artificial.

Cheers,
--
Ruslan Ermilov
ru at FreeBSD.org