SoC 2009: Improving ext2fs and making it GPL free

Aditya Sarawgi sarawgi.aditya at gmail.com
Sat May 9 16:54:14 UTC 2009

On Sat, May 09, 2009 at 10:34:11AM -0500, Pedro F. Giffuni wrote:
> Hi Aditya;
>
> Your project is very interesting, specially if you get to freeing us
> from the GPL in ext2fs.
>
> I have a couple of short documents for you.
>
> First here is the description of the Mach port on which our current code
> is based:
>  http://www.cs.utah.edu/flux/lites/html/ext2fs.html
>
> Here is the revision document of the NetBSD port:
>  http://www.feyrer.de/NetBSD/ext2fs-rev1.html
>
> I am unsure if it will be an easy project or not, or if it's just better
> to start from scratch from the complete NetBSD port but if you happen to
> have time for additional features, my personal wishlist has:
>
> - SEEK_HOLE and SEEK_DATA extensions for lseek(2)
> - support for gjournal.
>
> just a wishlist... I know I am too optimistic :).
>
> best regards,
>
> Pedro.
Hi,

Thnaks for the lites document. Porting the entire file system from NetBSD will be quite difficult and the current implementation has only parts under
GPL so my plan is to rewrite only those parts.

My plan is
- freeing ext2fs from GPL.
- making it MPSAFE (after SoC).
- adding new features like journalling (possibly using gjournal ), extended attribute support etc.

Cheers,
Aditya Sarawgi