SoC 2009: BSD-licensed libiconv in base system

Erik Trulsson ertr1013 at student.uu.se
Wed May 6 13:13:20 UTC 2009

On Wed, May 06, 2009 at 02:28:51PM +0400, Alexander Churanov wrote:
> Gabor, Joerg,
>
> I am currently working on UTF-8 support in syscons and highly
> interested in making FreeBSD using UTF-8 out of box.
>
> There is my $0.02:
>
> 1) Why discuss UCS-4 at all? UTF-32 is alreay in place. SImple,
> standardized, fixed-width and stateless.

UCS-4 and UTF-32 are, for most purposes, just two different names
for the same encoding.

> 2) I'm against using wchar_t internally, because C language standard
> does not require that a wchar_t variable can hold an UTF-32 code
> point.

The C standard has very few requirements on wchar_t.  It is up to each
implementation to decide how wchar_t is defined.
There is nothing which prevents the FreeBSD project from deciding
that on FreeBSD wchar_t is always 32 bits wide, which can then be relied
upon in FreeBSD-specific code.  It is not like somebody else will change
the relevant include files without warning.