NetBSD 5.0 statistics

Alexander Kabaev kabaev at gmail.com
Fri May 1 12:05:29 UTC 2009

On Thu, 30 Apr 2009 20:32:00 +0100 (BST)
Robert Watson <rwatson at FreeBSD.org> wrote:

> On Thu, 30 Apr 2009, Oliver Pinter wrote:
>
> > Is the FreeBSD's FS management so slow?
> >
> > http://www.netbsd.org/~ad/50/img15.html
> >
> > Or so big is the difference between the two cpu scheduler?
>
> Also, there's a known and serious performance regression in CAM
> relating to tgged queueing, and the generic disk sort routine,
> introduced 7.1, which will be fixed in 7.2.  I can't speak more
> generally to the benchmarks -- we'll need to run them in a controlled
> environment and see if we can reproduce the results.

Well, there is also r185801 of vfs_cache.c which all but destroys the
usefulness of negative name caching and surely can account for a large
percentage of reported performance drop in 7.1, especially with build.sh
benchmarks. The bug was fixed in stable/7 soon after 7.1 was released.

--
Alexander Kabaev