hot-attach SATA drive

Andriy Gapon avg at icyb.net.ua
Mon Mar 30 03:52:32 PDT 2009

Recently I tried to hot-attach a SATA drive to a running system.
Controller is ICH9 in AHCI mode. Physically/electronically everything went
smoothly, the drive spun-up. Then I tried to detach and re-attach all channels
with no devices on them using atacontrol. I did it 3 times to be sure, but no new
disk showed up. Then I finally rebooted, the disk showed up OK.

Question: was hot-attach expected to work? Is there a limitation in hardware or in
our driver?

Note: I attached the drive to a regular SATA port, not eSATA.

--
Andriy Gapon