[FIXED] Re: Porting problem with gnu configure (c++ -V)

Alex de Kruijff freebsd at akruijff.dds.nl
Wed Jun 24 00:08:33 UTC 2009

On Sat, Jun 13, 2009 at 01:06:18PM +0200, Alex de Kruijff wrote:
> I'm converting my port samesame to use gnu configue, but came a cross a
> problem that is beond me. I'm able to run aclocal, autoconf, autoheader
> and automake --add-missing -c. I've read the docs for autoconf and
> automake and search the web, but dont know how to solve elegantly. I
> would proberbly be able to hack configure, but prevere to edit only the
> source files. Do other porters with more experiance have any tips for
> me?
>
> The machine runs on FreeBSD 6.1-p20.
>
> When building the port I get this message:
>
> ===>  Configuring for samesame-1.3
> configure: WARNING: you should use --build, --host, --target
> checking for a BSD-compatible install... /usr/bin/install -c -o root -g
> wheel
> checking for gawk... no
> checking for mawk... no
> checking for nawk... nawk
> checking for C++ compiler default output file name...
> configure: error: C++ compiler cannot create executables
> See `config.log' for more details.
> ===>  Script "configure" failed unexpectedly.
>

> - Config.log show the following:
> configure:2329: c++ --version >&5
> c++ (GCC) 3.4.4 [FreeBSD] 20050518
> This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.  There is
> NO
> warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR
> PURPOSE.
>
> configure:2332: $? = 0
> configure:2339: c++ -v >&5
> Using built-in specs.
> Configured with: FreeBSD/i386 system compiler
> Thread model: posix
> gcc version 3.4.4 [FreeBSD] 20050518
> configure:2342: $? = 0
> configure:2349: c++ -V >&5 <---------------------------- ------- -------
> c++: `-V' option must have argument
> configure:2352: $? = 1
> configure:2375: checking for C++ compiler default output file name
> configure:2402: c++ -O2 -fno-strict-aliasing -pipe -DWITH_DISK_STORAGE
> -DWITH_MM
> AP -D'TEMP_STORAGE_DIR="/tmp"' -DPATH_INIT=256
> -DSTATIC_CACHE_CAPACITY=8192   co
> nftest.cpp  >&5
> <command line>:4:1: macro names must be identifiers
> configure:2405: $? = 1
> configure:2443: result:
> configure: failed program was:
> | /* confdefs.h.  */ /
> | #define PACKAGE_NAME "SameSame"
> | #define PACKAGE_TARNAME "samesame"
> | #define PACKAGE_VERSION "1.3"
> | #define PACKAGE_STRING "SameSame 1.3"
> | #define PACKAGE_BUGREPORT "samesame at akruijff.dds.nl"
> | #define PACKAGE "samesame"
> | #define VERSION "1.3"
> | /* end confdefs.h.  */
> |
> | int
> | main ()
> | {
> |
> |   ;
> |   return 0;
> | }
> configure:2449: error: C++ compiler cannot create executables
> See `config.log' for more details.

Hi,

For the archive (google). I that I discoverd the problem with the help
of Andrey Simonenko. The problem with the port seed to be that you can
not do stuff like 'CFLAGS+= -DWITH_MMAP' when going the gnu way with
your port. This causes the strange error messages. Removing this will
allow the configure script to be called correctly.

--
Alex

http://samesame.kruijff.org/