Request for opinions - gvinum or ccd?

Freddie Cash fjwcash at gmail.com
Mon Jun 1 02:44:29 UTC 2009

On Sun, May 31, 2009 at 4:59 PM,  <xorquewasp at googlemail.com> wrote:
> There is one last thing I'd like clarified. From the zpool
> manpage:
>
>  In order  to take advantage of these features, a pool must make use of
>  some form of redundancy, using either mirrored or raidz  groups.  While
>  ZFS  supports running in a non-redundant configuration, where each root
>  vdev is simply a disk or file, this is strongly discouraged.  A  single
>  case of bit corruption can render some or all of your data unavailable.
>
> Is this supposed to mean:
>
>  "ZFS is more fragile than most. If you don't use redundancy, one
>   case of bit corruption will destroy the filesystem"
>
> Or:
>
>  "Hard disks explode often. Use redundancy."

Unless you specify mirror or raidz on the create/add line, zfs (in
essence) creates a RAID0 stripe of all the vdevs.  Hence, if a single
drive dies, the whole thing dies.  Just like in a normal
hardware/software RAID0 array.  Nothing special or new here.

Just like "normal" RAID, unless you add redundancy (RAID1/5/6) to a
stripe set, losing a single disk means losing the whole array.
--
Freddie Cash
fjwcash at gmail.com