SGID/SUID on scripts

Carlos A. M. dos Santos unixmania at gmail.com
Sat Jul 25 01:47:45 UTC 2009

On Wed, Jul 22, 2009 at 2:42 PM, Anthony Pankov<ap00 at mail.ru> wrote:

> SGID/SUID bits don't work with shell scripts, do they?

No. A possible workaround is have a SUID/SGID version of you
interpreter and use it. Something like

# pw groupadd -n sush -g 401
# cp /bin/sh /bin/sush
# chown root:sush /bin/sush
# chmod 4750 /bin/sush
# pw usermod johndoe -G sush

Then start your script with "#!/bin/sush" and user johndoe,as well as
any member of the "sush" group will be able to it run as root. I think
I don't need to warn you that they will be able to run *any* command
as root, in fact. For a better approach, consider using sudo, instead
(/usr/ports/security/sudo).

--
My preferred quotation of Robert Louis Stevenson is "You cannot
make an omelette without breaking eggs". Not because I like the