bus device driver

Norbert Koch nkoch at demig.de
Tue Jul 14 15:31:32 UTC 2009

> From a hardware perspective, how do your devices know which addresses to
> decode?  Do they consume subranges of BARs or are they assigned fixed
> addresses somehow?  Do they have programmable decoders of some sort
> themselves?  If you wish to have the PCI bus assign you resources then that
> implies that your PCI device has a BAR and that you want to request resources
> for that BAR and then hand out subranges of that to your children.  If that
> is the case, then you will need to allocate the resources for the BAR for the
> PCI device from the PCI bus.  Then your bus driver for the PCI device will
> need to suballoc from that BAR to your children devices.

My device decodes one ram address range (16MB) and gives me
one interrupt line.
As my sub-devices operate on partial address areas my idea was to
let them all call bus_alloc_resource() with the same rid parameter (=
BAR selector)
and different offsets. So the bookkeeping should be done by the pci
driver, right?