Problem compiling kernel with ath device

Frédéric Praca frederic.praca at freebsd-fr.org
Wed Jul 1 21:20:23 UTC 2009

Hello guys,
I got the following compilation error in if_ath.c when compiling the
RELENG_7 today :
 ../../../dev/ath/if_ath.c: In function 'ath_rx_tap':
../../../dev/ath/if_ath.c:3414: error: 'const struct ath_rx_status' has
no member named 'rs_flags'
../../../dev/ath/if_ath.c:3416: error: 'const struct ath_rx_status' has
no member named 'rs_flags'
*** Error code 1
After investigating, this part appears only when HAL_ABI_VERSION is
greater than 0x07050400 The current value seems to be 0x08112800 as
specified in ath_hal/hal.h.
The problem is that for rs_flags to be present in the ath_rx_status
structure, defined in ath_hal/ah_desc.h, AH_SUPPORT_AR5416 has to be
defined.
Do I need something more than the three following lines in my
kernel configuration especially the AH_SUPPORT_AR5416 option even if my
PCI card is a 5212 chipset powered ?
device          ath             # Atheros pci/cardbus NIC's
device          ath_hal         # Atheros HAL (Hardware Access Layer)
device          ath_rate_sample # SampleRate tx rate control for ath

Well, in fact, I already know the answer as I compiled my kernel by
adding AH_SUPPORT_AR5416 option but isn't it a problem there ?

Regards

Fred