write(2) to /dev/ad4 = EINVAL

Lukasz Jaroszewski lvj at nietykalni.org
Mon Jan 26 02:24:50 PST 2009

2009/1/26 Hans Petter Selasky <hselasky at c2i.net>:
> On Monday 26 January 2009, Lukasz Jaroszewski wrote:
>> Hi,
>> after opening /dev/ad4 with success for O_RDWR, I am getting [EINVAL]
>> from write(2), which according to man 2 write, means
>>  ``     [EINVAL]           The pointer associated with d was
>> negative.'', as you can see below it is not true, I have tried
>> different block sizes, with same result.
>>
>> How can I write one byte to /dev/adN ?
>
> Hi,
>
> You cannot write one byte to /dev/adN, I think. Harddisks are block based.
> Please see:
>
> diskinfo -v ad4
>
> And especially the "sector size". When you seek and transfer data the offset
> and length must be a factor of the "sector size" or "block size". See also
> LBA, logical block address.

Yes, I have tried with bs=512 and multiplies, no luck.

root@~(0)   diskinfo -v ad4
ad4
        512             # sectorsize
        2029805568      # mediasize in bytes (1.9G)
        3964464         # mediasize in sectors
        3933            # Cylinders according to firmware.
        16              # Heads according to firmware.
        63              # Sectors according to firmware.
        ad:CFx20CARDx200000190C # Disk ident.

Best Regards
 Lukasz.