Kernel Module - GCC Requires memmove

Andrew Brampton brampton+freebsd-hackers at gmail.com
Wed Jan 21 16:52:15 PST 2009

2009/1/21 Alexander Kabaev <kabaev at gmail.com>:
> From GCC's info pages:
>
> Most of the compiler support routines used by GCC are present in
> `libgcc', but there are a few exceptions.  GCC requires the
> freestanding environment provide `memcpy', `memmove', `memset' and
> `memcmp'.
> </end quote>
>
> We do not provide all necessary functions in kernel and mostly depend
> on luck for the kernel to link. Your luck apparently ran out :(

Thanks for the info, good thing I'm not a gambling man. Anyway I also
read that part of the GCC manual, so my next question is: If code can
be generated with those four functions, why are they not exported by
the kernel? Surely another kernel module will at some point also be
hit by this?

thanks
Andrew