Remote kernel debugging in FreeBSD using serial communication

Greg 'groggy' Lehey grog at FreeBSD.org
Sat Jan 17 22:45:15 PST 2009

On Saturday, 17 January 2009 at 17:57:10 -0800, Kamlesh Patel wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am trying remote kernel debugging in FreeBSD using serial
> communication. I got the following link.
>
> http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/aix/library/au-debugfreebsd.html#list1

This article is inaccurate in a number of points, notably building the
kernel.  I'd recommend that you read the document at
http://www.lemis.com/grog/Papers/Debug-tutorial/, which also gives you
much more information about the debugging process.

> My problem is my developing and target system does not have DS25
> female port.

It doesn't have to be DB25, and it doesn't have to be female.

> Anyone have any idea about Remote kernel debugging in FreeBSD using
> DS9 F/F Serial cable or any other remote debugging idea?

That should work just as well.  There's nothing special about the
link.  But if you have any alternatives, don't use an async serial
cable for kernel debugging.  It's glacially slow, and people have had
all sorts of problems with it in the course of time.  Firewire is much
better, and you may even find that the hardware is cheaper.

Greg