bg_fsck ignores fstab pass numbers?

Callum Gibson callumgibson at optusnet.com.au
Wed Jan 14 22:12:31 PST 2009

Hi,
I've noticed that fsck in background mode never checks separate disks in
parallel for pass numbers >=2, as described in fsck(8). Taking a look
at preen.c:checkfstab() (if I understand correctly) reveals that in
background mode it will explicitly check each disk in turn (ironically
in the foreground), rather than fork them off and queue up waiting for the
children.

Does anyone know the reason for that? Is it simply a matter of wanting
to lower the impact and resource usage on the system?

Callum Gibson @ home
http://members.optusnet.com.au/callumgibson/