Having a problem of kernel panic

Julian Elischer julian at elischer.org
Fri Jan 9 10:47:56 PST 2009

Kamlesh Patel wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am having a problem of kernel panic in FreeBSD 7.0:
>
> In sys/boot/forth/beastie.4th
> variable rebootkey
> variable mykey       (added line)
>
> After building and installing the kernel, when i reboot the system it gives me the following error:

> " panic: free: guard1 fail @ 0x6e104 from
> /usr/src/sys/boot/i386/loader/../../common/module.c:959
>
> --> Press a key on the console to reboot <-- "

> How do i recover the system from this error. I can't reload the loader.old
>
> Could anyone please help me?

it's the loader that is crashing, not the kernel.
(at least that is what it looks like to me)

maybe reinstall loader from cd?

actually you should be able to bypass the loader using the bootblocks..

teh sysntax is arcane but you get a chance to enter something in the
bootblocks before the loader. (hit space)

replace /boot/loader with /boot/kernel/kernel
in teh string (I think... it's been a long time since I tried this.)