Obtaining l2 misses and cpu utilization in a module

Nikola Knežević laladelausanne at gmail.com
Thu Feb 19 05:48:38 PST 2009

On 19 Feb 2009, at 12:15 , Joseph Koshy wrote:

>> % pmccontrol -L
>> pmccontrol: Initialization of the pmc(3) library failed: No such
>> file or
>> directory.
>
> Did you load hwpmc(4) into the kernel?

How can I check that? kldload pmc reports that pmc interface exists in
kernel.

pmc: Unknown Intel CPU.
module_register_init: MOD_LOAD (hwpmc, 0xffffffff804ae160,
0xffffffff809c4c60) error 78
WARNING: WITNESS option enabled, expect reduced performance.
cd3 at umass-sim3 bus 3 target 0 lun 0
cd3: <Intel(R) RMM2 VDrive 4 0.01> Removable CD-ROM SCSI-3 device
cd3: 40.000MB/s transfers
cd3: Attempt to query device size failed: NOT READY, Medium not present
cd0 at umass-sim0 bus 0 target 0 lun 0
cd0: <Intel(R) RMM2 VDrive 1 0.01> Removable CD-ROM SCSI-3 device
cd0: 40.000MB/s transfers
cd0: Attempt to query device size failed: NOT READY, Medium not present
cd1 at umass-sim1 bus 1 target 0 lun 0
cd1: <Intel(R) RMM2 VDrive 2 0.01> Removable CD-ROM SCSI-3 device
cd1: 40.000MB/s transfers
cd1: Attempt to query device size failed: NOT READY, Medium not present
cd2 at umass-sim2 bus 2 target 0 lun 0
cd2: <Intel(R) RMM2 VDrive 3 0.01> Removable CD-ROM SCSI-3 device
cd2: 40.000MB/s transfers
cd2: Attempt to query device size failed: NOT READY, Medium not present
Trying to mount root from ufs:/dev/ad4s1a
ipfw2 (+ipv6) initialized, divert loadable, nat loadable, rule-based
forwarding disabled, default to deny, logging disabled
interface pmc.33554432 already present in the KLD 'kernel'!
kldload: /boot/kernel/hwpmc.ko: Unsupported file type

I've applied only <http://wiki.freebsd.org/PmcTools?action=AttachFile&do=view&target=patch-pmctools-FreeBSD-7.1-2009-02-10.gz
 >. Should I apply the other one?

My system is:
FreeBSD nslrack54.epfl.ch 7.1-RELEASE-p2 FreeBSD 7.1-RELEASE-p2 #12

Cheers,
Nikola