How to troubleshoot why ath0 can't connect to a passwordless wireless network?

Yuri yuri at rawbw.com
Mon Feb 9 14:59:24 PST 2009

I have a several wireless networks without password that my linux box
easily connects to.

On FreeBSD 'ifconfig ath0 up scan' command shows it. 'ifconfig ath0
ssid <my-ssid> up' brings interface to 'associated' state. But
dhclient fails to set it up.

I have another device on the same system: ral0. It sometimes connects
to these networks ok, sometimes has the same problem.

What can I do to understand what may be a problem with ath0 in my case?

I tried to use tcpdump. It shows outbound DHCP packets and nothing is inbound.

I asked similar question here before, somebody asked me to downgrade
atheros driver to one particular lower version. But this didn't help.

Relevant dmesg lines are:
ath_hal: 0.9.30.13 (AR5210, AR5211, AR5212, AR5216, RF5111, RF5112,
RF2413, RF5413, RF2133)
ath0: <Atheros 5212> mem 0xcffe0000-0xcffeffff irq 16 at device 5.0 on pci0
ath0: mac 7.8 phy 4.5 radio 5.6

I use 71-PRERELEASE

Yuri