Suggestion: rename "killall" to "fkill", but wait five years to phase the new name in

Jason A. Spiro jasonspiro4 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 23 00:24:27 UTC 2009

On Tue, Dec 22, 2009 at 7:00 PM, Doug Barton <dougb at freebsd.org> wrote:

> And yet there is ZERO interest in changing this in FreeBSD.

As you can see elsewhere in this thread, I am discussing it with Xin.
So far, both he and the Linux killall maintainer have said "no", but I
am using rational arguments to try to convince each of them.  I await
their next replies.

> Why don't
> you start working on the various linux distros instead, and report
> back here with your results.

All the Linux distros use the same killall, maintained by Craig Small.
 I don't know when he got de-CC'ed from this thread.  I have re-added
him to the CC field in this message.

And it seems to me that neither NetBSD or OpenBSD ship with a killall
utility, so there is no need to change such a thing as this in those
OSes.