8.0-RELEASE-p1 Panic "panic: sbdrop"

Robert Watson rwatson at FreeBSD.org
Wed Dec 16 11:52:38 UTC 2009

On Tue, 15 Dec 2009, Linda Messerschmidt wrote:

> This is a new one on me:

Hi Linda--

Unfortunately, this has historically been a tricky panic to debug, as it's
associated with a sanity check that picks up kernel memory corruption that may
have occurred at a much earlier time.  Without a crashdump, we won't get much
further.  However, let's see what we can do, perhaps trying to find some
common configuration element with another past report of the same diagnostic.
FYI, typically this panic occurs as a result of a concurrency bug in a device
driver, although it can be a symptom of a more general network stack bug.

Could you tell us a bit more about the network configuration -- especially,
are you using any tunneling software (such as ipsec), netgraph, or other less
commonly used network features?  Are you using accept filters?

Robert N M Watson
Computer Laboratory
University of Cambridge