won't boot after 8.0-RELEASE upgrade

Tom Worster fsb at thefsb.org
Fri Dec 4 22:54:00 UTC 2009

i finally got a 7.1 livefs fixit shell to work and i was able to mount
ad4s1a. i fscb'ed all the slices on ad4 and they look ok.

i changed fstab to refer to /dev/ad4* instead of /dev/ mirror/gm0* and got
rid of geom_mirror_load="YES" from /boot/loader.conf. and i ran gmirror
clear.

none of this did any good. 8.0 just won't mount root from the disk.

any final suggestions before i try dumping the data out on another system
and use the old windows technique (reformat and reinstall the os)?