Need some help understanding a jail system call.

Robert Watson rwatson at FreeBSD.org
Mon Aug 31 10:40:57 UTC 2009

On Wed, 26 Aug 2009, Dag-Erling Smørgrav wrote:

>> Here is the link i used to find this code
>> http://www.watson.org/~robert/freebsd/jailng/
>
> You realize that this is eight years old, right?  And that the jail
> infrastructure has been extensively modified since then, and is currently
> being rewritten again?

As DES points out, that jail work has been superceded by other, more
interesting, work in the base tree.  My suggestion would be to read the
jail(2) man page, both the current 7.x version, and the forthcoming 8.x
version which has been substantially enhanced, and disregard the jailng page.
I should more clearly mark it as being of historic interest only.

Robert N M Watson
Computer Laboratory
University of Cambridge