enable ECC in OS code?

Steve Watt steve at Watt.COM
Thu Aug 27 17:45:28 UTC 2009

In <200908271130.18073.erich at apsara.com.sg>, erich at apsara.com.sg wrote:
>Hi,
>
>On 27 August 2009 am 06:53:36 Steve Watt wrote:
>> In <4A954A35.4030207 at icyb.net.ua>, avg at icyb.net.ua wrote:
>> >Assuming that ECC data lanes are connected between the two on
>> > motherboard, and given that BIOS doesn't perform any ECC
>> > setup (nor there is any option to control that) - would it be
>> > possible to turn on ECC from OS code? Or is it too late in
>> > the game already?
>>
>> It's about 100 times easier to have the BIOS do this.  First
>> off, it's usually quite specific to the chip set exactly how to
>
>how should it be done at OS level at all when the OS is loaded
>into RAM?
>
>I do not thing that normal PC hardware is capable of handling
>this.
>
>Only code running in a ROM can do this.

Disable the ECC error reporting and copy memory back to itself?
Again, quite controller-specific.

That said, the BIOS should do it, and any that doesn't is broken.

--
Steve Watt KD6GGD  PP-ASEL-IA          ICBM: 121W 56' 57.5" / 37N 20' 15.3"
 Internet: steve @ Watt.COM                      Whois: SW32-ARIN