Deprecating ps(1)s -w switch

Frank Mayhar frank at exit.com
Tue Aug 25 16:23:18 UTC 2009

On Tue, 2009-08-25 at 08:48 -0700, Tim Kientzle wrote:
> Jonathan McKeown wrote:

> The difference between "ps", "ps -w", and "ps -ww" is pretty
> significant for Java, in particular.  Java command lines
> are typically enormous (thank you, CLASSPATH) which makes
> "ps -ww" often more annoying than it's worth.
>
> I concur with another poster that the GNU ps approach for
> supporting multiple argument styles deserves consideration.

I realized that nobody asked me, but IMHO it ain't broke so don't fix
it.  I use -w and -ww a lot, and yes, I do distinguish them.  Sometimes
-w is enough; if it isn't, then I'll use -ww but otherwise I avoid it
because it gives just too much output in many cases.
--
Frank Mayhar frank at exit.com  http://www.exit.com/
                                http://www.exit.com/blog/frank/