Common interface for sensors/health monitoring

Rui Paulo rpaulo at FreeBSD.org
Sun Aug 23 17:11:16 UTC 2009

On Sun, Aug 23, 2009 at 06:38:12PM +0200, Marc Balmer wrote:
> Everyone should have the right to come back with a subject, if work
> is put into it.  Or is the stanza that once there has been a heated
> discussion about a topic, there is no possibility to come back to
> it, maybe making it better a seccond time?  And no, I have no plans
> to do so... I am just a bit astonished about the attitude...

I think what Alexander was trying to say was that, given the heated discussion
last time, people are now reluctant to restart another discussion. From what I
remember, it was very hard to understand why such a large number of messages was
being created for such a small detail.

Topics, such as these, pose a high risk of making your FreeBSD developer
experience more painful than it should be. And since I believe a lot of people
here like to work on FreeBSD, sometimes these types of discussions are avoided
for a long time just because the developer(s) doesn't(don't) want to make their
FreeBSD development experience any more painful. I believe that if we keep
insisting on the same bikesheds for a long time, developers will defintely go
away.

So, there's no ``stanza'' or whatever, just human nature.

Regardless of what I just said, the topic keeps coming back and that's a clear
sign that a framework should be developed and, possibly, in a way that appeals
to both parties.

--
Rui Paulo