Common interface for sensors/health monitoring

Marc Balmer marc at msys.ch
Sun Aug 23 16:39:36 UTC 2009

Am 23.08.2009 um 18:24 schrieb Alexander Leidinger:

> On Sun, 23 Aug 2009 17:13:42 +0200 Marc Balmer <marc at msys.ch> wrote:
>

>> Am 23.08.2009 um 17:08 schrieb Alexander Leidinger:

>>> It is not "taboo", it is just that nobody wants to spend his spare
>>> time
>>> with something like this now.
>>>
>>> And yes, as far as I know you have to keep writting our own stuff.
>>> But maybe we can set up a wiki page where people can share their
>>> FreeBSD specific stuff. Someone just has to be willing to invest
>>> some time to add stuff. I have a little script which adds 24 values
>>> to ganglia, and it's extensible (4 lines for wach value), e.g.:
>>> ---snip---
>>> metrics="${metrics} HD3_Temp"
>>> HD3_Temp_value="$(smartctl -A ad3 |awk '/Temperature_Celsius/
>>> { print $10 }')" HD3_Temp_type="uint8"
>>> HD3_Temp_unit="Celsius"
>>>
>>> metrics="${metrics} logins"
>>> logins_value="$(who -q | grep users | cut -d ' ' -f 4)"
>>> logins_type="uint8"
>>> logins_unit="Users"
>>>
>>> metrics="${metrics} SwapIn"
>>> SwapIn_value="$(sysctl vm.stats.vm.v_swapin | cut -d ' ' -f 2)"
>>> SwapIn_type="uint32"
>>> SwapIn_unit="Units"
>>> ---snip---
>>>
>>> I would add my script to such a wiki page, if some else is willing
>>> to start such a page.
>>
>> <sarcasm >
>> such a script would indeed be much nicer than a well crafted
>> framework for the job.
>> </sarcasm>
>
> Indeed...
>
>>> If someone not @FreeBSD.org wants to maintain such a page, feel
>>> free to
>>> register in the wiki and tell me (or another committer), I will
>>> hand out
>>> write permission then.
>>
>> I hope people spend their time on thinking what was bad with the
>> sensor framework last time and improve on that, instead.
>
> Go and read in the archives about it, maybe you understand why
> there's not much motivation to spend spare time on such a topic.

Everyone should have the right to come back with a subject, if work is
put into it.  Or is the stanza that once there has been a heated
discussion about a topic, there is no possibility to come back to it,
maybe making it better a seccond time?  And no, I have no plans to do
so... I am just a bit astonished about the attitude...