Common interface for sensors/health monitoring

Aurélien Méré aurelien.mere at amc-os.com
Sat Aug 22 19:21:06 UTC 2009

>> The OpenBSD sensors framework lacks some desireable features, e.g.
>> event capabilities like getting an event if a certain threshold is
>> exceeded.  And it propbably was used for things that it better had
>
> This assumes the kernel is monitoring the device periodically (in the
> general case, as there are a lot of dump sensors which do not send
> events on their own). The framework as in the SoC did not provide this
> feature to keep the kernel part simple. You want to see a value, you
> poll the kernel for it, and the userland would have been responsible to
> fire up an event.

In my pratical case, this is perfectly satisfying. Probably most of the
controllers I work with don't even support event triggering, and we already
have the scripts to trigger events depending on the polled values. I'm
worried that today drivers don't exist or don't seem to be maintained to
provide these values. So, I would be satisfied just by getting the values. I
would be very satisfied if it was in a common interface. Heaven with
triggers...

I'm just afraid by reading your email that the situation doesn't seem to
have evolved since the discussion regarding the SoC, maybe even more taboo,
and that I'll have to keep writing my own software and drivers to get the
data I want in the future if I want to get this data under FreeBSD.. Is it
the case ?

Thx
Aurélien