Common interface for sensors/health monitoring

Robert Watson rwatson at FreeBSD.org
Sat Aug 22 14:29:38 UTC 2009

On Sat, 22 Aug 2009, Marc Balmer wrote:

>> I was looking for the same info a time ago .. something that would allow me
>> to gather all the info from the same place, but the only thing I came up
>> with was the very same discussion about the sensors framework port and
>> nothing else.
>>
>> Any info on any such proyect will be greatly apreciated
>
> The OpenBSD sensors framework lacks some desireable features, e.g. event
> capabilities like getting an event if a certain threshold is exceeded.  And
> it propbably was used for things that it better had not (yes, I am culprit
> for on of these (ab)uses...).
>
> I am sure these features could be added if only the code was in the tree to
> hack on...

One of the things I'd particularly like to see is an alignment between
kernel/user level monitoring frameworks and the SNMP model (especially
relating to traps).  The SNMP information model (MIBs, agents, traps, etc) has
its limitations, but having a compatible model at all layers of the system
will make it easier to store, manipulate, manage, and report this information
consistently throughout the OS and larger distributed systems.

Robert