Common interface for sensors/health monitoring

Aurélien Méré kindman at amc-os.com
Sat Aug 22 01:36:59 UTC 2009

Hi,

I've been using FreeBSD for years in all my servers, but I'm facing a big
problem today. All servers are under monitoring using a couple of
applications and scripts. Monitored items for each server especially are
CPU/mobo/UPS/HDD temperatures, CPU load, memory use, fans speed, PSU/UPS
voltages, HDD/RAID status&usage, network connectivity, UPS load, battery
status & runtime, ...

My concern today, excepted that there is no way to gather all the data
through a unique interface and that consequently we have to change the
scripts depending on hardware, is that some information are no longer
available at all, especially concerning the MB IC, ie. temperatures,
voltages & fan speed. Actually, some SMBus controllers (like from 2006 or
so) are not supported by any driver and I didn't find any port updated to
access the IC directly (if even possible). Currently, I sometimes have to
use mbmon with direct I/O, sometimes mbmon with SMBus, sometimes healthd and
sometimes nothing works (PR 137668 or 136762 as examples in my case).

Besides that, I was quite surprised that these information are available in
OpenBSD through a very simple and unique sysctl interface, with up-to-date
drivers, working on all my servers with a generic install. I know that below
this presentation layer, this may be much less perfect, and by digging in, I
found that a 2007 GSoC project for porting the OpenBSD sensor framework was
realised and planned to be put in HEAD. I also read hundreds of mails
concerning this project, and why finally it was not commited.

As developer, I fully understand some of the concerns in these threads and
that there are probably lots of things to change and work on, integrate it
in a cleaner repository like snmp or whatever; and I'd be glad to help in
any
possible way to improve this. But in the meantime, as netadmin, this kind of
information can be very important to prevent or diagnose major problems; so
I'd like to know what is being planned/done on this subject, as I didn't
find any
more information related to this than a discussion during bsdcan 2008.

Thanks for your help and time,
Aurélien