sosend() and mbuf

Pawel Jakub Dawidek pjd at FreeBSD.org
Tue Aug 4 21:37:30 UTC 2009

On Mon, Aug 03, 2009 at 09:25:27PM +0000, Maslan wrote:
> No my code doesn't work, I thought it may be because that soaccept()
> -which is not found in man 9- is non-blocking, so i've to put my code
> in a thread.
> Now i got another problem, when I open a text file from this thread,
> the kernel crashes, I'm sure that its the thread.
>
> kthread_create((void *)thread_main, NULL, NULL, RFNOWAIT, 0, "thread");
>
> void thread_main(){
> 	struct thread *td = curthread;
> 	int ret;
> 	int fd;
> 	ret = f_open("/path/to/file.txt", &fd);
> 	printf("%d\n", ret);
> 	tsleep(td, PDROP, "test tsleep", 10*hz);
>         f_close(fd);
> 	kthread_exit(0);
> }
>
> int f_open(char *filename, int *fd){
> 	struct thread *td = curthread;
> 	int ret = kern_open(td, filename, UIO_SYSSPACE, O_RDONLY, FREAD);
> 	if(!ret){
> 		*fd = td->td_retval[0];
> 		return 1;
> 	}
> 	return 0;
> }
>
> I've to finish up this problem to go back for the first one.
> Can you figure out what's wrong with this code, it works when I call
> thread_main() rather than kthread_create((void *)thread_main, .....

When you did kern_open() without creating kernel thread, it worked,
because kern_open() used file descriptor table from your current
(userland) process. In FreeBSD 7.x kthread_create() creates a process
without file descriptor table, so you can't use kern_open() and actually
you shouldn't do this either.

Take a look at sys/cddl/compat/opensolaris/kern/opensolaris_kobj.c,
where you can find functions to do what you want.

I guess you already considered doing all this in userland?:)