SoC 2009: BSD-licensed libiconv in base system

Gabor Kovesdan gabor at FreeBSD.org
Tue Apr 28 08:50:38 UTC 2009

David Schultz escribió:
> On Thu, Apr 23, 2009, Gábor Kövesdán wrote:
>
>> Hello all,
>>
>> my name is Gábor Kövesdán. I'm a Hungarian student and I'll be working on
>> a BSD-licensed libiconv implementation for FreeBSD during this year's
>> Summer of Code program. It'll be based on NetBSD's Citrus iconv but there
>> is a lot to do besides porting. My mentor is Xin Li.
>>

> Nice. I'm sure many people will thank you for this.

I hope my work will be useful for the community. Btw, I suspected that
you might be interested in this and I wrote a mail personally to you
when I was looking for a mentor. Then I didn't resend it because
delphij@ volunteered to be my mentor. Have you ever got that mail? If
you find this an interesting project your comments, review, etc. are
still highly welcome.
> One complaint I've heard about both our wide character
> implementation and Citrus iconv is that the internal (wchar_t)
> encoding depends on the current locale. (Basically it uses a
> packed binary version of whatever the external representation is.)
> The relevant standards allow this, but it can be a pain for
> application and library writers. One thing to think about is
> whether it would make more sense to standardize on something like
> UCS-4 for the internal representation.

I haven't got to such details yet, so I didn't know this. But UCS-4
seems to be reasonable for me.

Cheers,

--
Gabor Kovesdan