Ext2fs & DVD+RW

Frank Mitchell mitchell at wyatt672earp.force9.co.uk
Sun Apr 26 17:01:00 UTC 2009

Improved Ext2fs: What a great idea. I like trying different Unix flavours, and
Ext2fs is the only filesystem they all understand. I put all my data on a
separate Partition formatted Ext2, and every so often I'm glad: Like the
recent occasion when the NetBSD Boot Selector altered something and
prevented FreeBSD from starting, leaving me with no alternative but to
reinstall.

Also, under Linux, you can use Ext2fs on DVD+RW. Plain DVD-RW is unsuitable
because it uses Superblocks of 16*2048 bytes, but CD-RW should be okay.
Currently you can't do this under FreeBSD, probably because CD and DVD use
2048-byte Sectors, and FreeBSD wants 512-byte. Somebody said you can put UFS
on DVD+RW, but I couldn't get that to work.

So possibly Ext2fs would be a viable alternative to UDF, though I don't know
enough about Filesystems myself to tell whether this idea has some enormous
drawback.

Yours truly: Frank Mitchell

From: Aditya Sarawgi <sarawgi.aditya at gmail.com>

I'm Aditya Sarawgi from India. I will be working on FreeBSD's ext2fs as a part
of this year's summer of code program. I will be improving the current
implementation and I will also rewrite parts of ext2fs under GPL. My mentor
is Ulf Lilleengen. For more details you can visit
http://wiki.freebsd.org/SOC2009AdityaSarawgi

Cheers, Aditya Sarawgi