SoC2009: libpkg, pkg tools rewrite

Julien Laffaye kimelto at gmail.com
Sun Apr 26 11:17:38 UTC 2009

On Sat, Apr 25, 2009 at 9:20 PM, David Forsythe <dforsyth at freebsd.org> wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm David Forsythe, 3rd year student at the University of Maryland, College
> Park.  For SoC2008 I worked on added parallel build support and database
> locks to ports.  I've been using FreeBSD for a while, and have taken
> particular interest in ports and packages.
> This summer I'll be working on creating a package library and using that
> library to rewrite the pkg tools.  A package library has been discussed and
> even started before, but FreeBSD still does not have one.  This summer I'd
> like to get enough of the library done to atleast have a new set of pkg
> tools completed with the current features, but ideally I'd like to get far
> enough to splice in some of the ideas I have for new features.
> Here's the wiki page: http://wiki.freebsd.org/SoC2009DavidForsythe
> Dave

Hi,

It'll be nice if libpkg can deal with all the infos in the INDEX with
an elegant API.
You have to read the packages names in the INDEX for `pkg_version -I`
but maybe other tools will enjoy to get other infos (especially the
one line description, the categories and the run time dependencies).
So basically, an API which understand "give me all the packages names
you have in the INDEX", "give me the description for _this_ package",
"give me all the names plus the categories", "give me..."

Regards,
Julien Laffaye