Some questions on 'make release'

Manolis Kiagias manolis at FreeBSD.org
Wed Apr 22 20:58:18 UTC 2009

John Baldwin wrote:
> On Tuesday 21 April 2009 4:17:53 am Manolis Kiagias wrote:
>
>> in the iso.1 target to print the values of CD and CD_DISC1_PKGS variables:
>>
>> echo "CD is ${CD}"
>> echo "CD_DISC1_PKGS is ${CD_DISC1_PKGS}"
>>
>> Running the make release I can see the "Creating iso images..." but not
>> any of my messages. It is as if another copy of the Makefile is executed
>> (without the changes).
>> (Note I switched from EXTSRCDIR to a real CVSROOT, so it is not my
>> /usr/src that is copied to the release work area)
>>

> Right, the release process chroot's into your release area and then uses
> that /usr/src/release/Makefile for the extra targets.  You can build the
> release once and then just update the release Makefile in the chroot area and
> use 'make rerelease' for testing.

Thank you John. You were right of course, the Makefile that continues to
execute is the one inside the CHROOTDIR.
And in fact my original problem is exactly that: I was not thinking in
terms of the chroot.
Reading the Makefile, CD_DISC1_PKGS = ${CD_PACKAGE_TREE}/disc1 but
CD_PACKAGE_TREE refers to a chroot directory, just like every other CD_*
variable in there. I was using CD_PACKAGE_TREE=/usr/area/packages, a
completely unrelated path.

As for make rerelease, I tried it with the RELEASENOUPDATE option,  but
apparently the CD_DISC*_PKGS do not get defined.  It would be trivial to
hack a solution though.