Some questions on 'make release'

Manolis Kiagias manolis at FreeBSD.org
Tue Apr 21 08:17:56 UTC 2009

John Baldwin wrote:
> On Saturday 18 April 2009 6:30:54 pm Manolis Kiagias wrote:
>
>> # make release CHROOTDIR=/data/release BUILDNAME=7.2-PRERELEASE
>> CVSROOT=/data/ncvs EXTSRCDIR=/usr/src  CD_PACKAGE_TREE=/data/packages
>> -DNODOC -DNOPORTS -DNO_FLOPPIES -DMAKE_ISOS
>>
>> which completes, without errors but without adding the packages to any
>> CD or the DVD. I found out that I can add the packages after the build
>> by running manually /usr/src/release/i386/mkisoimage.sh with appropriate
>> arguments (and the resulting CD seems to work fine).  But I can't seem
>> to convince make release to do this.
>>

> This should work.  I would maybe hack on src/release/Makefile and remove the
> '@' from the lines in the iso.1 target to make sure it is doing things the way
> you expect.  You could make mkisoimages.sh echo the mkisofs command line as
> well perhaps.

Thank you John. I followed your suggestions, but I am still baffled.
I removed the '@' from the Makefile and added an echo of my own after the

echo "Creating iso images..."

in the iso.1 target to print the values of CD and CD_DISC1_PKGS variables:

echo "CD is ${CD}"
echo "CD_DISC1_PKGS is ${CD_DISC1_PKGS}"

Running the make release I can see the "Creating iso images..." but not
any of my messages. It is as if another copy of the Makefile is executed
(without the changes).
(Note I switched from EXTSRCDIR to a real CVSROOT, so it is not my
/usr/src that is copied to the release work area)

I have tried running the iso.1 target directly (after deleting the
/usr/src/release/iso.1 file) and it seems to try to find the files in
the wrong directory. For example, it attempts to create the disc images in

/R/cdrom/

instead of what would normally be

/usr/area/release/R/cdrom (my CHROOTDIR=/usr/area/release)

I can work around this by creating a symbolic link /usr/area/release/R
=> /R or by changing the CD variable in the Makefile from

CD=${_R}/cdrom

CD=${CHROOTDIR}${_R}/cdrom but I feel these are just hacks and I am
really missing something. (make iso.1 works fine afterwards though)

Any more suggestions are welcome, as my trial and error approach takes
about 3 hours in the machine  used for the build ;)

Thanks,
manolis@