some questions about 32 bit / 64 bit

Robert Noland rnoland at FreeBSD.org
Fri Apr 3 10:29:17 PDT 2009

On Fri, 2009-04-03 at 14:45 +0200, Ivan Voras wrote:
> Harald Servat wrote:
>
> >   My first issue is, I'm currently working with Linux and I'm planning to
> > switch to FreeBSD 7.1, but I don't know if switch to 32 or 64 bit (i.e.,
> > i386 or amd64). If I switch to the 32 bit version, which is the memory limit
>

> On a server, switch to 64 bit.
>
> On a desktop machime, go with 32-bit. You will only be able to address
> slightly over 3 GB no matter which graphics card you use but on the
> other hand you'll have better supported drivers and 3rd party software.

All of our drm drivers are safe on amd64.  The only thing you get from
32bit is the ability to run the Nvidia blob.  If you are trying to do
emmulated things like play linux/windows games, then 32bit might be
needed, but for normal use graphics isn't a reason not to use amd64.

FreeBSD balrog.2hip.net 8.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 8.0-CURRENT #13 r190402M:
Tue Mar 24 22:41:47 CDT 2009
rnoland at balrog.2hip.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/BALROG  amd64

robert.

--
Robert Noland <rnoland at FreeBSD.org>
FreeBSD