How to increase the max pty's on Freebsd 7.0?

Ed Schouten ed at 80386.nl
Wed Apr 1 23:09:17 PDT 2009

* Paul Schenkeveld <fb-hackers at psconsult.nl> wrote:
> Or change 'pts' to, for example, 'pt' so without changing utmp and
> related stuff we'll have space for a four digit pty number.

I've noticed lots of apps already misbehave because of the pty(4) ->
pts(4) migration. I guess using a new naming scheme would totally break
stuff. There are lots of apps that do things like:

	if (strncmp(tty, "tty", 3) != 0 && strncmp(tty, "pts/", 4) != 0)
		printf("Not a valid pseudo-terminal!\n");

But those are just workarounds. Our utmp format is broken anyway. It's
not just UT_LINESIZE that's too small. I think we received many
complaints from people who want to increase UT_HOSTSIZE as well.

--
 Ed Schouten <ed at 80386.nl>
 WWW: http://80386.nl/